Empower Her Challenge
What is the Empower Her Challenge?
- A 2-Day problem solving competition (6 hour time commitment) designed to inspire business ideas that empower women. The competition is open to ALL undergraduate and graduate students at San Diego State University.
- On April 16th 12pm – 3pm, teams will be provided with three unique problems that disproportionately
affect women in their professional pursuits. Each team will then select one problem
and develop a new, unique solution to address it.
- On April 23rd 12pm – 2pm, Keynote Speaker, Alyse Nelson, the Co-founder and CEO of Vital Voices will kick off the event by sharing her story followed by teams’ giving 4 minute pitches highlighting their solutions. Winning teams will then be announced and awarded up to $2,000 in cash prizes.
Who Can Attend?
- Open to all undergraduate and graduate students at San Diego State University.
- Students are welcome to individually register and be placed on a team or register in teams of 2-3 (no exceptions to the size of team)
- No preparation is required before the event.
- Gain experience in team building, project management, rapid prototyping, pitching and entrepreneurship
- Become a world changing entrepreneur positively impacting the lives of others
- Network with and learn from community leaders and domain experts
- Build your resume and win cash prizes
*Teams with 1+ women in STEM major are eligible to receive the Best WSTEM award
Dr. Elizabeth Reed
Associate Professor of Global Health
Co-Director of SDSU-UCSD Joint Doctoral Program in Global Health
Director, San Diego & Imperial County Women’s Business Center
Founder of Macro Idea Studio
Lauren Eccker, MSW, MPH
Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Institute for Girls’ Development &
Flourish Therapy + Wellness Center
Director of Social Innovation