SDSU Chinyeh Hostler Social Venture Challenge
Date: April 26, 2023
Location: SDSU Student Union Theater
Custom treat from ZIP Launchpad for the first 100 attendees to check-in at the event!
What is the Chinyeh Hostler Social Venture Challenge?
- On campus pitch competition
- For SDSU undergraduate and graduate students who have a passion for solving a problem that creates a positive social impact
- $10,000 grand prize
- Application closes February 4, 2023
The goal of the Challenge is to inspire students campus wide to ideate solutions to the world’s biggest problems, from health and poverty to the environment, education and more. Not to mention, the finalist will receive $10k to go towards their social venture!
How Do I Apply?
- Create a profile in F6s.
- Answer application questions regarding the problem you want to address, how the problem is currently solved today, and the potential measurable impact of solving the problem.
We're Here to Help With Your Application!
For help finding your problem...
For getting inspiration from the UN Sustainable Development Goals...
First place winners will receive $10,000 ($5,000 upon winning the Chinyeh Hostler Social Venture Challenge, $5,000 after completing the ZIP Launchpad’s Etrack).
What are the requirements to participate?
- Be an undergraduate or graduate student at SDSU with at least one member graduating Fall 2023 or later
- Have two team members prepared to pitch and up to three additional team members to help you along the way (teams are limited to a maximum of five members)
- All majors are welcome!
- Experience the social entrepreneurship process first hand
- Make an impact through your world changing business idea
- Develop invaluable skills in presenting and communicating
- Gain resume worthy experience for your future career search
- Win $10,000 in cash for your social venture
A social venture is an entrepreneurial approach to addressing and positively impacting social and/or environmental challenges through business. A social venture can be for profit, non profit, or a hybrid so long as it has a sustainable way to fund the business. Struggling to think of a business idea with a social impact? Check out the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
February 4: Applications due
February 11: Semifinalists selected
February 24: Finalists selected
April 26: Final event
Next Steps for Semi-Finalists
Congratulations! Your team has been selected as a semi-finalist for the Chinyeh Hostler Social Venture Challenge! Here are the next steps for your team…
- Create a brief, 2-3 minute video introducing your team members, your passion for the problem, and confirming your team’s commitment to the Chinyeh Hostler Social Venture Challenge. For more information regarding what we are looking for in your team’s video, please look to the "Semifinalist Video Submission Overview" below.
- Email your video in an mp4 format to Jordyn ([email protected]) by February 13th at 11:59pm.
- The final 10 teams will be notified on February 15th.
Semifinalist Video Submission Overview
Your video should be 2-3 minutes long and include the following:
- Introductions for each team member
- Name, major, class year
- Which 2 team members will be pitching your team’s idea in the final event on April 26th if your team is selected to move forward
- The social problem your team has decided to address
- Briefly describe the problem
- Why is your team passionate about the problem you’re addressing?
- What impact do you think solving this problem could have on the world we live in?
- Confirm your team’s commitment to the competition and what is expected of the challenge’s finalists
- These expectations can be found on the website in the "Next Steps for Finalists" section below.
- Example: “We understand what is required of finalists for this competition and we would be committed to meeting these expectations if we are selected”.
- Make sure to email your team’s (mp4 format) 2-3 minute video to Jordyn ([email protected]) by February 13th at 11:59pm.
Next Steps for Finalists
Congratulations! Your team has been selected as a finalist for the Chinyeh Hostler Social Venture Challenge. Here are the meetings and events that all finalist teams are expected to attend:
- Chinyeh Hostler Social Venture Challenge Kickoff
- February 24 11:00-12:00 in the ZIP Launchpad
- ZIP Launchpad Etrack Meetings
- February 24 12:30-3:00pm in the ZIP Launchpad
- March 3 12:30-3:00pm in the ZIP Launchpad
- March 10 12:30-3:00pm in the ZIP Launchpad
- March 17 12:30-3:00pm in the ZIP Launchpad
- March 24 12:30-3:00 in the ZIP Launchpad
- Solution Development Workshop
- Week of April 3 (exact day and time TBD)
- Coaching Session
- Week of April 10 (exact day and time TBD)
- All Teams Submit Their Final Pitch Decks
- April 18 11:59pm
- Final Event Rehearsal
- April 19 (time TBD)
- Chinyeh Hostler Social Venture Challenge (two team members are expected to pitch during the competition but all team members
may be present)
- April 26 4:30pm-6:30pm in the Theater